Monday, August 3, 2020

Lipton's 10

I am not a member of the Actors Studio of NY, I am not famous, and James Lipton is dead.  These facts rather dash my hopes of ever being interviewed by Lipton on his long-running show "Inside the Actors Studio", which is terribly disappointing.  I've always loved the fantasy of being the subject of that particular interview and interviewer, partly because, well, ego, but mostly because I have always wanted to answer his final 10 questions.
And then I realized that I can, right here, right now.  Not with the same visibility, of course, but still, the fun will be in discovering what my answers are.  So here we go:

1) What is your favorite word? I have always taken a very special delight in the word Mombasa, and serendipity is awfully fun, as is perspicacity.  But I'd have to say that my all time favorite word is Sweet Hubby's name, followed closely by Mommy.

2) What is your least favorite word?  Nigger.  Cunt.  Gook.  Libtard.  All the words people use to demean and diminish one another.

3) What turns you on?  What makes me tingle sexually is private (and also probably pretty common; no equipment needed, thank you very much).  What turns me on in other ways: The sound of wind in tall trees and scent of pine in sunshine.  Acts of heroism, most of which I see in movies and plays.  Writing a line of dialogue that comes out exactly right.  Laughing laughing laughing.  That most of all.

4) What turns you off?  Ignorance that is stubborn and proud.  And the usual things like other people's mucus and vomit.

5) What sound or noise to you love?  That wind in the trees soughing sound, of course.  The second movement of Beethoven's Seventh and the rousing chorus of his Ninth.  Sweet Hubby telling me he loves me; I get to hear that several times a day, lucky me.

6) What sound or noise do you hate?  The phone ringing used to turn me on because I used to assume it was good news or someone I wanted to talk to.  But now I associate the phone with my sister calling to say our mother had died unexpectedly, plus there are all those robocalls and scam calls, so irritating.  But my least favorite sound is a woman or child screaming.  I always feel as though I have to do something, because if it were me screaming and I were really in trouble, I would want someone to do something.  But I usually don't know where the sound came from nor what I should do.  Very disturbing.

7) What is your favorite curse words?  Good old "asshole" works for me when I want to describe somebody, although if I'm also partly amused I will call them "dirty dog dick licker".  But when I'm really pissed, I'll just say "God fucking damn it".  That's what comes out involuntarily, so I guess it must be my favorite.

8) What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?  Therapist, hands down.

9) What profession would you not like to do?  Grade school teacher.  I like teaching writing to older kids and adults, but the idea of sitting in a too large classroom trying to stimulate the interest of children who don't want to be there and have tremendous reserves of stifled energy, and of having to deliver the same material year after year just makes me sick, so hats off to all those who do it and do it well.  I don't know that there is any more important profession in the world than educator.

10) If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?   "You're my favorite." 

No comments:

Post a Comment