Monday, July 4, 2022

Letter to the Supreme Court Justices

Honored Justices Roberts, Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett,

Well done.  You did it at last.  You finally had the opportunity to overturn Roe v  Wade, and you did it, with all the courage of your convictions.

You were bravely undeterred by the fact that the majority of Americans support a woman's right to decide if she wants to bear a child or not.  Undeterred by 50 years of precedent.  Undeterred by the fact that many women will not be able to travel to a state in which abortion is legal and so will either have to perform abortions on themselves or give birth to children they do not want and most likely can't afford.  Undeterred by the fact that, in some states, a victim of rape or incest will be forced to bear the child of her assailant.  Undeterred by the fact that outlawing abortions does not eliminate abortions but only turns women into criminals or unwilling mothers or corpses.  Undeterred by having revealed for all to see that any liberal cause stands no chance in the high court.  Undeterred by the fact that this country's standing in the view of the civilized world has once again been diminished.

Knowing now that you have sided with the rights of gametes over women, I am very curious to see how you take on gun rights and limitations, should such a case come before you, as it most surely will.  Are you going to side with gun owners, or with the rising number of people killed by guns in this country every year?  

And Justice Thomas, a special note just to you.  You have already signaled your eagerness to reconsider other rights that have previously been granted by the court, specifically citing contraception, gay sex, and gay marriage.  I'm wondering if you are going to include interracial marriage in that package of issues, and if so,  how does your white wife feel about that?

2 comments:

  1. Amen. Amen. Amen. I can't <3 this enough, Babs! I love the anaphora of each sentence beginning with Undeterred! This could easily be a poem. I read it like that. I love that it's specifically addressed to the justices and to Thomas. Thank you. xoA <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely nailed it, Babs. I do hope you actually mailed a copy of this directly to the justices (although I had calling such unjust people "justices.") As you know, I had an ectopic pregnancy and a miscarriage, both of which required surgery. When I share this story on Twitter (where I do my political ranting), several people chided me and said no one would consider those "abortions," but I responded with links to articles that showed that, yes, indeed, in some states, emergency treatment for incomplete miscarriages and even for ectopic pregnancies IS considered abortion if there is any cardiac activity present. For goodness sakes, neither the mother nor the fetus would have survived in those circumstances. My heart goes out to the doctors who are faced with turning away women they could help. (And yes, I also worry about Thomas's statement that he would like to reconsider additional issues like contraception and gay marriage. The man is unworthy of his high office!)

    ReplyDelete