Friday, December 22, 2023

Kitty woes

 When Sweet Hubby and I adopted darling 22 month old sister kittens Bandy and Angel, we figured that if we fed them right, made sure they got plenty of stimulation and exercise, and gave them regular check-ups, we wouldn't have to deal with their health for maybe 10 years.

But alas, no.

We took them for their one-year check up and rabies shots yesterday.  Both Bandy and Angel have conjunctivitis in their eyes and gingivitis in their gums, the latter of which might necessitate the removal of some or all of their teeth, which are already starting to loosen.

I feel really bad for them.  I don't know if they're in pain.  They don't seem to be.  But they might be later, and we're going to have to start doing stuff to them that they may not like, such as brushing their teeth every day.  If they hate something we do to them every day, I'm afraid it might damage their sense of trust in us.  They trust us completely right now.  I don't want to lose that.

I also feel bad for SH and myself.  We're both sort of depressed with the news right now, because we are, indeed, going to have to do things to them that they're not going to like, and take them to the vet more frequently.  I really hate that thought.  And we're going to have to figure out how to feed them, since we'll be adding medicine to their food that they may not like.  From now on we're going to be concerned about them, instead of enjoying the carefree delight we take in them now.

We'll figure it out.  Those are always the magic words.  But still, I wish we and the kitties didn't all have to deal with this.  I wish I could explain to them what's happening and why.  I wish I could hide my head in the sand and pretend not to know what's wrong.

But alas, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment