Saturday, April 18, 2020

Scolding Garth Brooks

Last night I was dancing to Garth Brooks.  For some reason, the lyrics to his song "American Honky-Tonk Bar Association" really struck me, and not in a good way.  I often don't pay much attention to lyrics, but last night I heard them clearly, and realized this is an anti-welfare song.  There is one line, "We don't reach for handouts", followed immediately by "We reach for those who are down."

What the hell does he think welfare is but the government, on behalf of all of us who are doing better, reaching out a very large hand to those in need? Who are you, Garth, to decide who needs help and who doesn't?  You in your mansion have no idea how much some people are suffering.  What an ego you must have, to say you're better than other people because they haven't your extraordinary talent, your good luck, your professional management, your drive, your money.

Thank goodness the government is mandated to help those in need.  If it were left up to us citizens, sure, there would be people who helped those in need, but probably more of us who would join you in despising those who are 'below' us, because it seems to be a human trait to want somebody to be better than.  So maybe the shame on Garth is a shame on all of us.

FANTASY SEQUENCE
I've become an Internet sensation as outspoken Granny Owl.  I'm standing on the sidelines of a big celebrity party when Garth Brooks approaches me.  "So, you're the old lady who thinks I'm prejudiced," he says.  I reply, with exactly the right amount of dignity and strength, "I think that song is, and you sing it, so yes, I guess I do."  "You know," he says, "I'm a performer.  My music is meant to appeal to my audience."  "Then shame on you for appealing to people's prejudice.  Your audience listens to you.  You're a big part of their culture.  Why sing a song which inflames their prejudices?"  "In my defense, I didn't write that song," he says.  "I know, but you chose it.  Come on, you know what it is to sing a song for good.  The one about the old Texas Ranger breaks my heart every time I listen to it.  A lot of your songs are gorgeous and appeal to our hearts.  You have a gift.  Don't do hateful things with it."

Mike Greenblatt of Modern Screen's Country Music referred to the song as a "modern day redneck classic sung with a snarl and a smile - except that ill-advised line about welfare recipients."

I don't know why this song struck me hard enough to get me riled.  It's from 1993, for heaven's sake, not exactly a hot topic.  I guess I'm just sick of all the divisiveness in this country, all the choosing of sides and people being ugly to one another, the putting down of whole sections of the population based on ideas about them and us, and how 'they' are causing 'our' problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment