Thursday, December 10, 2020

Ordering dinner from a Mediterranean café

This evening Sweet Hubby and I decided to get takeout from our favorite Mediterranean café.  As we drove toward it, I called in our order.  The young woman I spoke to was just lovely, and it was right on the tip of my tongue to ask, "Are you Middle Eastern or...?"  But then I realized that I don't know what I was thinking comes after that "or..."  What do I think is the opposite of Middle Eastern?

It seems as though, in the broadest of strokes, the peoples of the world divide roughly into European, African, Middle Eastern,  Asian, and indigenous.  But think about how many thousands of different indigenous people there are, how many different cultures, even today.  And Europeans - are they more like  Spaniards or more like Danes?  And of course before there were borders and nations there were tribes and all people were indigenous, developing and evolving within however large a territory their tribe's world extended.  Each one speaking a different language, having a different relationship to the natural world, learning different lessons.  And now how homogenous the world has become and everyone is speaking---

It all seemed to big to grasp, so I didn't ask.  I just said, "We'd like an order of grape leaves and some hummus with pita."  It was very tasty, by the way.

1 comment:

  1. Too big to grasp--and did it really matter? Great choices of food, btw. Hugs, xoA

    ReplyDelete