Friday, March 19, 2021

This face

My mirror shows me what I look like when I pose.  Now, thanks to Zoom, I know what I look like when I talk, laugh, listen ,think, and eat.  It has been a bit of a shock and plenty dispiriting.  Hard not to judge myself for all of these supposed flaws: the places where my skin is mottled, the thin lips, the pouches under my eyes, the looseness under my chin, the incipient jowls.  (Jowls?  Really??)

During and after every Zoom session - and oh my lord, there are so many - I have to remind myself that this is an older version of the face which won me Sweet Hubby.  (Having boobs helped.)  I'm so glad I don't have to wonder if it would now; the deal is sealed.  This is the face my Mom loved, and would love still.  And this is the face everyone knows me by.  Everyone else is used to it.  Only I am taken by surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Lordy! Hasn't Zoom revealed so much, often too much, to us? I don't wear make-up, but I noticed I look "better" on Zoom when I've applied moisturizer and have pressed my lips together several times before it's time to start. I hadn't before noticed the tiny extra space between two of my bottom teeth, but that's now been recorded. You're right. The people who know and love us don't care. They're just glad to see us. Hugs and thanks, Babs. xoA

    ReplyDelete