Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Yes, him again

My sister pointed out to me that I had goofed in my earlier post "Joe and Don" when I wrote that Trump was longing for a return to the McCarthy era - in the 1980's.  Of course McCarthy was in the 1950's.  I was terribly embarrassed about that gaffe, until I realized why I'd made it.  As I was writing, I wasn't thinking about McCarthy; I was thinking about Nixon.  That was the corrupt government I lived through.  Another time when the men in power were unworthy; a time when citizens lost faith in our leaders.

So if you caught that blooper, now you know where it came from.

And since we're on Trump again, I just have to say how disgusted I am by Trump's statement that during the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol, the rioters and police were hugging and kissing, all great pals.  Please, please tell me that there is not a single person who has seen the footage of that event who doesn't recognize this statement as a pure and obvious falsehood, who doesn't realize that Trump is a pathological liar, a fraud, a dangerous buffoon.  I mean, how naked can a lie be?

Are we so irreparably adrift that there are people who will accept the despicable ignorance and outright mendacity of this statement?  I am so worried about my country.  I believe that everything that has gone wrong, every mistake and bad choice in U.S. history, is catching up to us: every native killed, every slave whipped, every unfair law, every instance of greed and cruelty shouting down reason, kindness, and justice.

I believe that most of those mistakes are made because we as a nation worship the wrong things: money, power, possessions, sex, fame, gossip, youth, and beauty.  We've turned our backs on even the pretense of being true to the founding and amended principles of this country.  There is no pretense that the will of the people is respected, as evidenced in Georgia, where Gov. Kemp has signed into law a bill curbing voting rights, a bill which is overwhelmingly unpopular by the citizens of that state.  The naked, naked corruption and hunger for power.  I'm sick to my stomach. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on being sick of the attitude and actions we see playing out in these United States. Sadly, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how/why people still believe ANYTHING DT says. He's repeatedly been proven a bold-faced liar. OK. I will breathe now. xoA <3

    ReplyDelete