Sunday, December 5, 2021

Today I am a crone

Today is my 70th birthday.  I happily accept, even embrace, the fact that I am now a crone.  We crones, after all, are the tellers of stories.  Having learned to keep our own flames lit, we are able to help others light theirs.  We know what it's like to be a child, a teenager, a young adult, middle-aged.  We know how to hold the torch for the promise and possibility of the future.  We are the receptacles of many, many life lessons, some of them learned the hard way.

The past is mine.  The present is mine.  I know that the future belongs to others, but I still have so many contributions to make.  I am proud to have reached this stage of life.  However much I might be invisible to the young, I also know that I am part of the clearing of the path they are walking now.

So give a cheer and a respectful nod to yourself if you are a crone.  We are rich in wisdom.  Let's be sure to stay interested and interesting.  There is much more still to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Why am I not surprised to learn you share a December 6th birthday with my favorite cousin? He and I were closest in age, sharing interests and sentiments. I hope you had a very happy birthday, Babs.

    Ah, the crone age. "Having learned to keep our own flames lit, we are able to help others light theirs." Yes. We still have great purpose and many things to do. Thanks for this post as a reminder we still matter. xoA

    ReplyDelete