Monday, January 31, 2022

The beautiful mistake

When Sweet Hubby retired, he decided to take ceramics classes at the nearby community college.  After decades spent in the digital, ethereal world of computers, he wanted to stir up the artistic side of his brain, to work with his hands, work with something tactile and real.

As with everything he does, he was immediately masterful in this new craft, and as a result of his several semesters shaping clay, we now have stacks and piles of large plates, smaller plates, bowls of every size, a soap dish, a syrup pitcher, and all sorts of urns and figurines.  One of my lifelong desires has been to have my home full of things that are unique, hand crafted, and beautiful, so naturally I'm am filled with joy every day as I serve our meals on one-of-a-kind dishes.

One of my favorites of his pieces is a salad-sized plate glazed in shades of earthy white, light blue, and teal.  Some of the teal glaze ended up cracking a bit and pulling away from the clay as the plate was fired, leaving some bare spots and a slight lumpiness on one side.  SH hadn't meant for this to happen and so thought the plate was not a success, but it is this supposed mistake that makes this plate my favorite.  There may be an element in this of feeling especially drawn toward the runt in a litter of puppies, or perhaps it's that this 'mistake' proves that the plate couldn't have been commercially made.  Either way, I just love this piece that is not quite right and so all the more special and lovely.

When I noticed my fondness for this one plate, it got me thinking, naturally enough, that perhaps it is true for all of us that the parts of ourselves we consider ugly or mistaken or different or broken may be the most special parts of ourselves, the parts that make us unique and are most memorable in the eyes of others.  Susan Sarandon, for example, says she spent her adolescence squinting because she hated her enormous eyes.  But it is those large, soulful eyes that make her face so memorable.     

I wish I could say to every kid who has a crooked tooth, a birthmark, big ears, a lisp, or any other physical distinction she feels makes her unattractive, that what she is wishing away in her prayers may very well be the part of her that is most distinct, even most adorable.  I wish I could remember that for myself, that the parts of myself I want to fix may be the me-est parts of me and are to be celebrated instead of polished smooth or hidden.  

1 comment:

  1. What makes us unique is the very thing that endears us to others. In our youth and teen years, we were all to obsessed with wanting to "fit in" and to be like everyone else. We're past that now. Thank goodness.

    I love hand-made pottery, too. Imagine my delight the first time I walked into my Judy's home and her pottery creations were everywhere. One of her first gifts to me was a bowl she'd made. Unique, earthy, and beautiful. Just like her. xoA <3

    ReplyDelete