Monday, January 22, 2024

Going to hell and other miscellanea

"The country is going to hell," say Trump and his followers.  "This administration is a disaster.  The Democrats are ruining the country."  They're right that the country is going to hell, but it's because of the ignorance and malice of the very people who are saying it is.  If there are problems - and there certainly are - I'm not hearing any offer of any solution by the people who are complaining, angrily, threateningly, mindlessly, gleefully complaining

To anyone in the future who tells me she (or he) can't cook, I plan to reply, "Can you read?"  Because that's all cooking is: following a recipe.  Of course as one gains confidence and interest, a lot more is possible in the realm of cooking: baking! for instance.  But even without confidence and interest, one can turn out a decent homecooked meal just by following a recipe.  

Sweet Hubby and I had mac and cheese out of a box this afternoon (it had been part of a holiday gift box and I didn't want it to sit around forever).  It was just awful.  I guess it's possible to become used to that kind of food; lots of people no doubt have and are.  But homecooked mac and cheese is like first class flight: once you've experienced it, it's hard to go back.  I think the people who say, "I can't cook" really just don't want to.  It is a lot of trouble, after all.  Thinking of what to make, seeing if the ingredients are at hand; grocery shopping if they are not; putting the groceries away; the prep, usually comprised of chopping, mincing, boiling, saute-ing, stirring, etc; then the actual cooking itself, trying throughout the process to time the dishes so they are ready at somewhat the same moment.  I'm almost talking myself into a box - of mac and cheese. 

1 comment:

  1. Made me smile, Babs -- well, from the 2nd paragraph on. I love to cook and bake. Trying out new recipes is fun and challenging. I like to read others' comments who've already made the dish and see what modifications they made. I'm with you. Homemade is the best. xoA <3

    ReplyDelete