Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Sleep Envy

Sweet Hubby, as I have said many times, has a remarkable number of skills and talents.  One of his finest talents is for sleep.  I am envious, to a frightening extent, of his ability to fall asleep, stay asleep, go back to sleep if he's awoken, and sleep into the morning.  He can't sleep until 11 any more, but he can go to 9 or 9:30 easy.  He seems to enjoy his sleep so.  I watch his face sometimes and he just looks so damned peaceful and comfortable.
I am very, very short on sleep, which I know is one of the worst predictors of, or causers of, Alzheimer's and other senility diseases.  I used to be able to sleep.  Most of the time I can get to sleep fairly easily, unless my mind kicks in and keeps agitating all night.  But I often don't sleep through the night and most often wake up early.  My time in bed is plagued by hot flashes (now proudly in their 13th year),leg and foot cramps, and migraines.  Recently it was plagued by bursitis in my shoulder.  Sometimes it is not plagued by anything at all, but simply doesn't fall or stay asleep.
One of the few things capable of possibly putting me back to sleep is being spooned by Sweet Hubby, listening to his even, peaceful breathing.  I wish I could see his dreams projected on a screen, in all their chaos and color.  A brain like his must take him through territories and emotions and memories and inventions and problems to be solved, probably with a lot of me and our fuzzbutt Flow sprinkled throughout.  I would love to be able to see that brain at work.  When I see the deep concentration on his face when his brain is active, it's just a delight.  How fast those circuits must be sparking.
I'd want to keep those screenings to myself, though.  If word got out about how extraordinary and smart and wise he really is (not to mention dreamy to look at, if you like the professor with a twinkle in his eye sort of man), he would almost instantly be made the icon of some movement, or the god of some religion, or the leader of some cult.  Everybody would want some of what I got here - but it's mine, all mine.  That blows my fucking mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment