Monday, April 26, 2021

Big guns and small changes

I have just read an editorial describing Russia's military build-up along the Ukraine border.  The editorial claimed Russia's intentions are unclear.

In my experience, people who carry guns want to use them, find reasons to use them.  Russia's intentions are absolutely clear: to intimidate and threaten and prove they are ready and willing to carry out their threats.  They have the weapons and they have the will, and there's not much doubt they will use both.

I suppose if I were in charge of a country, I would understand the desire/need to take what I wanted from whomever else in order to grow/succeed/feel safe.  But since I'm not in charge of much of anything, I look at acts of aggression, such as Russia's toward Ukraine and China's toward Hong Kong and Taiwan, and wonder at what seem unnecessary and rather barbaric greed and shows of force.  I know there is always a complex dance going on between countries as each one tries to maintain and improve its standing in the world and the lives of its people - or at least of its leaders.  But will we as a species ever outgrow the need to aggress against others?  Because of course the national aggressions are only larger and more formidable examples of the smaller aggressions humans inflict on one another every day.  

And maybe that's the point I'm trying to make to myself.  I can't do much about Russia militarizing its border with Ukraine, but I can certainly become more aware of my own acts of aggression, hostility, threat.  When I'm at my most sensitive, I understand that even speaking sharply to someone, or being sarcastic, or gossiping, all are ways I assert my power, or try to.  So I guess if I do those, I oughtn't to be surprised that the leaders of countries do the same sorts of things on a much grander and more dangerous scale. 

Will it really make a difference if I finally rid myself of my own hostility and unkindness?  I suppose if everyone on the planet were able to, there might be a chance we could all settle down and create a finer and more equitable life for all.  But I am just one, so could my own healing actual help heal the entire planet?  It doesn't seem likely.  It's also all there is for me to do, because if I can't, how can I expect anyone else to?  

"Oh Lord, thy sea is so big and my boat is so small."

1 comment:

  1. We have to, each one of us, believe we can make a difference as we heal, reach out, and heal some more. Sometimes we take the lead. Sometimes we fall into step with another. Sometimes we wake up later and follow. But, we each have to do something. Thanks again for another thought-provoking post, Babs. xoA

    ReplyDelete