Thursday, May 5, 2022

Have I the right?

I know that there are some people who believe we choose, or chose, when and where and into what family to be born.   It would be reassuring to believe that.  It would be lovely to believe that I had something to do with the good fortune of my birth, as though I had earned the right to elevated circumstances, or was smart enough to choose better than most unborn souls seem to.

That's an idea that must be taken on faith, on pure belief, because it can't be proved and there is no evidence.  I don't believe it, reassuring as it would be to think my good fortune is deserved.

I know that I am no more at fault for being born healthy and white in the 20th century in the United States to a family that revered education and loved one another utterly, than another person is for being born a female in Saudi Arabia, a country which stills women's voices and allows them no freedoms.  I can't think she chose that for herself.

So what do I do with all this good fortune? 

1 comment:

  1. You do what you always do, Babs: think, feel, observe, speak up, spread knowledge, ideas, and cheer. You do your part to make the world, or your corner of it, a better place. And thank you for all that. xoA <3

    ReplyDelete