Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Travel travails and the mysterious leg

I recently had an opportunity to get out of town and get together with friends.  I was so looking forward to this gathering, but it turned out the travel itself was not without a few trouble spots.

I was working in Tacoma as a faux patient in a nurses' training program the morning I was to leave, and there wasn't time to go home after that, so just drove directly to the Seattle airport.  Sweet Hubby took the train and met me to say good-bye and drive the car home.   I had 3 hours at SeaTac, then a short hop to San Francisco, 5 hours in SFO, then an overnight flight to Baltimore, and 3 hours at the Baltimore airport waiting for the shuttle that would take me into Delaware to meet up with my friends.

It made for a very, very long day/night/day, and I didn't get any sleep on the overnight plane, but I knew what my itinerary was and so had plenty to read and also used the time also to walk and walk and walk and occasionally eat.  SFO, by the way, gets my vote for best airport.  It is roomy, as lots of comfortable places to sit, terrific art installations, and even has yoga rooms, one of which I used to stretch my limbs and rest my mind.

So it all worked out.  I got together with my friends in a big rental home on Fenwick Island, a sweet, touristy town on the DE coast.  I was tired, but feeling fine when I went to bed that night.  However--

The next morning I woke up virtually crippled in one leg.  The back of my left knee, upper calf, and lower thigh were so tight and sore, I could barely straighten that leg, nor put much weight on it.  Besides the pain, which was considerable, I was also plagued by the question of what the heck had happened????  There were no incidents nor accidents during the night.  The couple of times I got up to pee, I was normal, feeling just fine.  What on earth had caused this tightness and soreness?  There was no swelling, no bruising, no wound.  It was the weirdest thing, and the weirdness of it, the mystery, continues to nag me to this day.  

The pain itself began very gradually waning on the second day, and I was able to enjoy being with my friends.  The weather was blustery, so we mostly stayed indoors, laughing, snacking, playing games, talking.  It was an almost perfect four days - except for this stupid leg.

On the trip home, more travel travails.  I was driven back to the Baltimore airport for a short hop to Detroit, there to learn that the plane from Detroit to Seattle was postponed - until the next day.  The airline (which shall be unnamed, since whatever caused the long delay probably wasn't anyone's fault but was due to mechanical issues, or short crew staffing, something like that) did put me and whole lot of other people up in a nice enough hotel for the night, and the plane did get me safely home the next day, so it all turned out all right.  No lost luggage, no COVID, and thank goodness I didn't have to be back for a job interview or wedding or anything.  Now it's all just a fun story.

Now, almost a month later, the pain in my leg is basically a whisper, there but not a problem unless I fold my leg up to kneel or whatever.  I may never know what caused this; don't see the point in going to my doctor because I doubt there's anything he could actually see or find.  But still - what the heck happened?  I guess my body is feeling it's age, but my spirit, ah, my spirit is still young and energetic and still wants to do cartwheels, which makes having to limp around like an old granny quite annoying.

1 comment:

  1. Quite a mystery! And you're right -- you may never know. Thank goodness you're mending right along. Great you could still enjoy your time with your friends. And you got to spend overnight in Motown, my hometown! xoA <3

    ReplyDelete