Monday, November 7, 2022

Want (not the play)

This evening I was doing one of my favorite Jane Fonda workouts, one of the ones she recorded as an older (70's) woman.  I had decided I was going to do all but 10 minutes of it.  Sort of like giving my word to myself about how long I was going to work out.

About 3/4 of the way through, I didn't feel like doing any more and thought about stopping.  And in that moment, I finally saw how much more often I listen to and follow my "I want to" and "I don't want to" voices than my "I said I would" voice.  Wow.  Seeing that explains a lot about me to myself.

I will give myself credit this time for continuing to work out instead of, once again, shrugging and breaking my word.  And now that I've noticed this tendency in myself, I'll be more aware of it and maybe choose more consciously and wisely which voice to listen to.

Until I don't feel like listening wisely any more.  Then I'll go back to following my wants.

That's a joke.  But maybe not.

1 comment:

  1. This post resonates with me, Babs. What your piece brought to mind was one of The Four Agreements, "Be impeccable with your word." I, for one, need to think about that -- being impeccable with my word applies to myself as well as to others. Thank you for this reminder. xoA <3

    ReplyDelete