Monday, January 30, 2023

A plopping problem

I am not getting nearly enough exercise these days, and it's all the kitties' fault.

Every time I set up the living room for a workout, Bandy and Angel show up, no matter where nor how deeply they have been napping.  Bandy is a pretty good sport; she just sits on the sidelines looking at me with an expression of "Here I am, aren't you going to pet me?".

Angel is much more assertive.  She will come right to my feet, even if they are moving, plop on the rug, roll onto her back and show her belly.  How can I resist?  Of course I immediately go down to the floor to scratch and rub and stroke her until she is in a fair ecstasy of purring.  And, since I don't ever want to favor one over the other, I'll then go to Bandy, whose ecstasy consists of wrestling with a peacock feather.  

Having satisfied them both for the moment, I'll start my workout or dancing again, but before long, there is little Miss Angel at my feet.  Even if I wanted to resist, I couldn't ignore her completely because I would surely step on her.  It's a terrible dilemma, and I'm losing a lot of workout time.

I could put them both into another room and shut the door, but that would feel to them like a punishment, and they aren't really doing anything wrong.  When SH is downstairs in his office, they are very happy to go down with him and sleep together in the big, fluffy bed on his desk, but his time downstairs doesn't always coincide with my workouts.  Of course I can take long walks, as long as it's not raining too hard, but I like more variety in my workouts than just walking, such as resistance training with weights, and yoga, and step, and all sort of other fun routines.

To people without cats, this might seem like a faux problem.  "Just keep pushing them out of the way until they catch on, or do that locking them in another room thing.  For heaven's sake, don't be a victim to your pet."  But anyone who is a cat lover/owner understands that a belly-up cat is virtually impossible to ignore.  It is a sign of such trust, and it's just so darned adorable.  

I suppose it's possible that at some point, they will both come to be uninterested in my moving feet and not bother to show up for the workouts.  And you know what?  At that point, I will probably miss them terribly and wish they would get underfoot again.

In the meantime, I'm going for a walk.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a cat person, so no, I don't quite get it. But, I believe you. Walking is a good thing. xoA

    ReplyDelete